Pray.Network

A Community of Prayer Champions, Praying Churches, Prayed-for Communities

I received permission from Jon Graf to post the daily Connection! prayer devotions on Pray.Network.  These devotions are available as a free e-mail subscription from the Harvest Prayer Ministries website at http://connection.harvestprayer.com/.

I have found these devotionals to be not only inspirational but also great equipping for my own prayer life.  There aren't many devotionals that are actually about prayer - most have a quick prayer at the end and that's about it.  But this one has prayer as its focus.  I thought others on the Network might be interested in it.  I will attempt to post each one daily - although I'll inevitably miss here and there. 

I have previously written a Spotlight blog post on the Connection! devotional; if you're interested, check it out here: http://www.pray.network/profiles/blogs/praynetwork-spotlight-connec....

I hope you enjoy and benefit from this devotional as much as I have.

--Andrew

Views: 809

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mar. 19: Hindrances to Worship

“Who may worship in your sanctuary, LORD? Who may enter your presence on your holy hill?” (Ps. 15:1, NLT).

If you are experiencing times of intercession and worship that are dry and difficult, it may be time to take inventory as David did in Psalm 15.  Ask the Holy Spirit to show you if any of the following are hindering your worship:

• Are you leading a blameless life and doing what is right? What about staying away from things that have the appearance of evil? (v. 2)
  • Are you speaking the truth from a sincere heart? Any half-truths or painting yourself in a better light when recounting a story? (v. 2)
  • Do you absolutely refuse to slander others no matter what? Do you refuse to harm your neighbors or speak ill of your friends or spouse? (v. 3)
  • Do you despise persistent sin? Do you honor the bride of Christ in thought, word, and deed—including those from other denominations? (v. 4)
  • Do you keep your promises even when it hurts? (v. 4)
  • Do you want something in return when you do something nice for someone? (v. 5)
  • Do you speak against someone when it is in your own best interest? (v. 5)

Holy Spirit, show me any areas of my life that are hindering my prayer life.  I desire to enter in with a pure heart!

Prayer Points

Praise the wonderful God who causes mountains and hills to burst into song and all the trees of the fields to clap their hands (Isa. 55:12). Give thanks that the Lord “comforts his people and [has] compassion on his afflicted ones” (Isa. 49:13). Confess any lack of joy which you may have and admit to God your failures to receive his joy. Commit yourself to considering all of life as pure joy, whatever the circumstance, since Jesus Christ is alive and victorious over all. Ask the Lord to restore to you the joy of his salvation (Ps. 51:12), so that you may be a prime exhibit of Christ’s life-changing power.

Pray that your family and friends may have Christian joy. Ask God to help them to discipline themselves in the Christian faith and grow together in genuine love.

–by Sandra Higley, author of A Year of Prayer Events for Your Church. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

–Prayer Points taken from Patterns for Prayer by Alvin VanderGriend. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

Connection (Devotions for Everyday Life) © 2017 is published daily by Harvest Prayer Ministries. Subscribe here.

Mar. 20: New Beginnings

“…according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions…Wash away all my iniquity…Hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity” (Psalm 51: 1b, 2a, 9).  

God has not only promised to forgive our sins, but to forget them!  “For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more” (Hebrews 8:12).  See also Jeremiah 31:31-34.  Why do you think God has gone beyond forgiving to forgetting?  Perhaps He doesn’t want us to think that He is going to hold our sins against us the rest of our lives – a kind of spiritual blackmail, if you will.  Our Heavenly Father delights in new beginnings, and through His grace offers us the gift of a clean slate.

God’s grace is beyond our imagining! What an amazing gift He extends to us so that we may extend it to others!

Lord, how amazing you are in your ability to not only forgive, but to forget our sins! It grieves me that I forget things I shouldn’t, yet remember the things I should forget. Teach me Lord, to forget the offenses of others as you forgive and forget mine.

Prayer Points

Praise the Lord, who is your strength, your rock, your fortress and your deliverer (Ps. 18:1-2). Give thanks that “the weakness of God is stronger than man’s strength” (1 Cor. 1:25). Confess your desire to rely upon your own strength. Commit yourself to doing everything through him who gives you strength (Phil. 4:13). Ask God to cause you to serve him with the strength that he provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ (1 Pet. 4:11).

The gospel is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes (Rom. 1:16). Ask the Lord to apply this power to individuals whom you know are without it.

Adapted from Pray Like The King: Lessons from the Prayers of Israel’s Kings by David and Kim Butts. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

–Prayer Points taken from Patterns for Prayer by Alvin VanderGriend. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

Connection (Devotions for Everyday Life) © 2017 is published daily by Harvest Prayer Ministries. Subscribe here.

Mar. 21: After the Tears…Resurrection!

So then he told them plainly, “Lazarus is dead, and for your sake I am glad I was not there, so that you may believe. But let us go to him.” (John 11:14-15)

When we heard that my mother had suffered a serious stroke, our first response was to try and get to the hospital as quick as we could. That’s normal and natural. When Jesus heard that one of His best friends was dying, He delayed going to him. That’s not normal. There had to be a reason for the delay that went beyond what can be seen in the natural.

The disciples were as puzzled by Jesus’ behavior as we are. We gravitate toward what we perceive as normal behavior for us. Someone we love is in trouble? Our first thought or response is to go try to fix it or at least be with the person in his or her difficulty. We become horizontally focused upon the situation and the person rather than upon the God in charge of the circumstances who loves the individual(s) involved more than we could ever think or imagine.

Jesus certainly had that loving horizontal focus for Lazarus. But the horizontal action was determined by His vertical priority. In this case, Jesus explained to His disciples that He had delayed to the point of Lazarus’s death, in order that His disciples might believe. This was not a cold-hearted decision to teach recalcitrant followers, but a sacrificial, loving demonstration that they (and we) needed. Remember, it was the death of Lazarus that brought forth tears from Jesus.

Staying vertical, focused on the purposes and desires of the Father, will bring tears for us as well. It requires doing that which isn’t expected or “normal.” Sometimes it means leaving family and friends to serve the cause of Christ in other lands. There are times it means giving up a lucrative career for the sake of Jesus. What our Savior would like for us to always remember is that after the tears, there was a resurrection.

Lord, help me to pay attention to what You are doing, and then follow You wherever You are going. Let my actions not be determined by what is expected of me by others, but only by Your Spirit. Take me deeper with You that I might do those things that encourage others to follow You, and extend Your kingdom.

Prayer Points

Praise the One who sits upon his throne, supreme in power and authority. Give thanks that the Almighty is your Father in Jesus Christ. Confess your own hardness of heart and disobedience against God’s authority over you. Commit yourself to God so that you “do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires” (Rom. 6:12). Ask God to help you endure, so that you may reign with Christ (2 Tim. 2:12).

Pray that the relationships among your family and friends will be spiritually honest and productive. Pray that Jesus Christ will be a frequent and comfortable topic of conversation.

–Adapted from Vertical with Jesus: A 30-Day Journey to Impact Kingdom Living by David and Kim Butts. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

Mar. 22: Patiently Waiting on God

“Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth” (Psalm 46:10).

If we wish to live the way of Jesus Christ, then we must reflect upon the fact that nowhere in Scripture do we see Jesus in a hurry. The Son of God did not rush around. He did not look for more things to do. His example was one of patiently waiting upon the Father in prayer so that He could get His instructions for every step He took and every word He spoke. Is that how you and your family members live your lives? My guess is that if I were to live as Jesus did, focused upon His Word and connected to the Lord continually in the two-way love relationship that is prayer, I would accomplish more in less time, and be more contented. How about you?

God of the nations, my life has been filled with busyness and hurry.  Forgive me for not sitting still and setting my eyes upon Your gracious face.  Forgive me for rushing through life without stopping to really get to know You.  Fill my heart with praise for You, the Lord over all the nations of the earth and show me Your plans and purposes that I might live the unhurried but productive life of Jesus.

Prayer Points

Praise God that he graciously chooses people to belong to him! Give thanks “that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose” (Rom. 8:28). Confess to the Father any doubts or objections you may have about how he works things out. Commit yourself to the one who chose you in Christ before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight (Eph. 1:4). Ask that “he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus” (Phil. 1:6).

Pray that governmental officials may not be tempted by power or money. Ask God that those who have fallen to these temptations may be changed or removed from their positions.

By Kim Butts, author of The Praying Family (Creative Ways to Pray Together). This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.    

Mar. 23: The Priority of Prayer

“Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven” (Mt. 6:10).

There was a time in my prayer life when I tacked the phrase “Thy will be done” on to the end of a prayer full of generalities as a kind of “just-in-case-I-didn’t-pray-correctly” band-aid. But as I’ve matured as an intercessor, “Thy kingdom come into this situation, Thy will be done so that things around us here are just as they are in heaven” is my heart’s cry! Praying His kingdom into reality and enthroning Him at every opportunity is our highest calling.

His ways are not our ways; His thoughts are not our thoughts (Isa. 55:8,9). And like it or not, we are stuck with hearts that are desperately wicked (Jer. 17:9)! There will always be a tendency to look out for number one—to pray a path that seems best to us. Only as we stay in the Word, empty ourselves and constantly ask God to check our priorities can we keep on track.

Lord, bind my feet to a path of righteousness in prayer!  Let my heart and mind be transformed to connect with Your will and Your will alone.

Prayer Points

Praise God that he is the creator of prayer. Give thanks because he gives you an audience with himself whenever you choose to pray. Confess any misuse or neglect of prayer. Commit yourself to making prayer a priority in your life. Ask God to lead you to “approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that [you] may receive mercy and find grace to help [you] in time of need” (Heb. 4:16).

The Holy Spirit convicts the world of guilt in regard to sin, righteousness, and judgment (Jn. 16:8). Pray that your non-Christian acquaintances will be so convicted, repent, and claim the forgiveness of Jesus Christ.

–by Sandra Higley, author of A Year of Prayer Events for Your Church. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

Mar. 24: Whiter than Snow

“…and cleanse me from my sin…Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow” (Psalm 51:2b, 7).  

There are always consequences of our sins – people we love get hurt, we damage ourselves physically, someone might be turned off to hearing about Christ because of a sin we commit as a Christian, etc.  Yet, “Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.  They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness” (Lamentations 3:22-23).    “…let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience…” (Hebrews 10:22).  Doesn’t it feel wonderful to be clean?  Especially after you’ve been dirty!  There is nothing like a nice, hot shower and clean clothes!  That’s such a good picture of what God does with our sin!  He washes us clean, and gives us clean clothing to put on – clothing that reflects His glory and is a testimony to others.  “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9).

How grateful I am Lord, that you not only forgive, but bring your purity into my life. Thank you for the cleansing that is mine through the blood of Jesus Christ.

Prayer Points

Praise God because he is the encourager and comforter of his people. Give thanks that God loved you and by his grace gave you eternal encouragement and good hope (2 Thess. 2:16). Ask forgiveness for all those times when fear and anxiety replace the courage that God gives. Commit yourself to seeking God’s encouragement to face every obstacle in your life. Ask God to encourage your heart and strengthen you in every good deed and word (2:17).

Pray for special encouragement for teachers as they educate. Pray that parents will be supportive of teachers who seek what is best for students.

–Adapted from Pray Like the King (Lessons from the Prayers of Israel’s Kings) by David and Kim Butts. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

Mar. 25: House of Prayer…or Den of Thieves?

Jesus entered Jerusalem and went into the temple courts. He looked around at everything, but since it was already late, he went out to Bethany with the Twelve. . . .

On reaching Jerusalem, Jesus entered the temple courts and began driving out those who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves, and would not allow anyone to carry merchandise through the temple courts. And as he taught them, he said, “Is it not written: ‘My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations’? But you have made it ‘a den of robbers.’” (Mark 11:11, 15-17)

All four of the gospel writers record this unusual event in the life of Jesus. That certainly gives it additional significance. Most who approach this text, however, focus on what was happening in the Temple. Jesus was focusing more on what was not happening. The place that was to be a house of prayer had become instead a place for commerce and busy activity. That’s why He quoted the Old Testament scripture: Isaiah 56:7, “My house shall be called a house of prayer for all nations.”

God had intended the Temple to be the centerpiece, a huge picture of how He dealt with mankind on earth. It was to be a place of prayer for all people. As Solomon dedicated the temple (2 Chronicles 6-7), his prayer and God’s response clearly demonstrated that God was showcasing prayer in this place. And prayer, not just for Israel . . . but for all nations!

The Jews of Jesus’ day had turned the Temple into a place of business and human affairs. It became all about them instead of God. Jesus walked into the horizontal dealings going on and literally upended things. His actions scream: “Look up! Go vertical! It’s time to pray!”

It’s still the passion of His life. He always has and always will want a place to meet with His people. But a house of prayer is no longer a building, but a people. Read Acts 2: 1-4 where God dedicated a new temple as His Spirit hovered over the heads of the believers. From this point on, God is still calling us to look up and go vertical! The busyness of life should not usurp our First Love . . . our relationship with our Creator!

Lord, forgive me of my prayerlessness. And when I do pray, I so often make it about me. It’s so easy for me to stay on a horizontal plane, even in my prayers. Help me to look up and see You. Help me to understand more of what it means to be a house of prayer. Show me how to pray without ceasing in a way that pleases You and releases Your power to accomplish Your purpose. Your Kingdom come, Father! Today and forever!

Prayer Points

Praise God for seeking and saving the lost. Give thanks that Jesus is “the good shepherd [who] lays down his life for the sheep” (Jn. 10:11). Confess those instances and ways in which you ignore the voice of your Shepherd. Commit yourself to learning to be content whatever the circumstances (Phil.4:11). Ask God to give you the fullness of life which comes with following the Savior.

Pray for those who serve in law enforcement, that the stress of their jobs will not be too much for them to bear. Ask God to give them special strength to do their jobs well.

–Adapted from Vertical with Jesus: A 30-Day Journey to Impact Kingdom Living by David and Kim Butts. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

Mar. 26: He Will Fight for You

“The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still” (Exodus 14:14).

You may ask, “What if I have lots to do – deadlines and responsibilities? How can I take time to just sit and do nothing?” You can take time if it is “divine” nothing. When the Israelites were being pursued by Pharaoh’s army they allowed themselves to be overwhelmed by their circumstance instead of filled with faith. They panicked and blamed their situation upon Moses. Although he must have been greatly irritated at their lack of faith, Moses calmed their fears and told them to set aside their fear. He urged them to let God deal with what seemed to be an impossible situation. Do you have an impossible situation to set aside today? Be still and let the Lord fight for you.

Awesome Father, show me how to be still and wait upon You when I find myself in an “impossible situation.”  Help me to remember that nothing is impossible for You if I will only let You fight for me instead of insisting on my own way.  Fill me with faith to trust in Your ability to answer my cries for help.

Prayer Points

Praise God, who is perfect in beauty and holiness (Ps. 50:2). Thank him for making everything beautiful in its time (Eccl. 3:11), including your own life. Confess those times during this past week when your words or actions did not reflect to others the beauty of Christ. Commit yourself to being transformed into his likeness (2 Cor. 3:18). Ask God daily to change the ugliness of sin in your life to his loveliness.

Pray that the spirit of worship may fall upon all who enter your church’s sanctuary on Sunday, that they may desire “to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple” (Ps. 27:4).

—By Kim Butts, author of The Praying Family (Creative Ways to Pray Together). This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

Mar. 27: What God is Saying

Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy (1 Cor. 14:1).

Prophetic intercession does not need to remain a mystery. The definition of prophecy is simply this: to say what God is saying.  Every one of us has the opportunity to grow in the prophetic—to say what God says.  We are to follow the way of love meaning that we live for the good of other people and in obedience to God. We should long to say what God is saying in prayer and to pray what is on His heart and mind through His word.

And we are to be eager about it, not passive!  Seek to embody the word of God and be able to communicate it and pray it.  That’s prophetic intercession.

Lord, I eagerly desire the spiritual gifts You have given.  I long to pray what You are saying.  Help me to connect deeply with Your heart so that I can pray Your word of truth.

Prayer Points

Praise Jesus as your King and husband, the bridegroom of the church (Eph. 5:25-27). Give thanks for his power to wash you and make you clean and holy, radiant and without stain or wrinkle. Confess any impure thoughts you may have had this week. Commit yourself to purifying yourself “from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God” (2 Cor. 7:1). Ask God to help you think about whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, and admirable (Phil. 4:8).

Pray for pastors who work with couples experiencing marital problems. Ask God to give them the wisdom to counsel effectively and the strength to bear this heavy burden.

Andrew, thank you! The Lord is victorious in battle. 

Mar. 28: Confession and Repentance

“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9). 

Have you ever had seasons where it seemed the Lord was not hearing your prayers?  Did you discover that you had unconfessed sin in your life during that time?  Before coming to the Lord with our petitions and intercession, it is crucial to examine our hearts before Him to “see if there be any wicked way” (Psalm 139) in ourselves.  Confess all known sin to God before entering into prayer.  Ask Him to reveal any sins that you haven’t been aware of.  Then, you can confess these sins, and repentantly ask the Lord for His forgiveness Perhaps the most godly prayer of repentance is simply, “God, have mercy on me, a sinner” (Luke 18:14)!

Father, I never want to have sin interrupt our relationship. Help me to be very sensitive to sin in me, and to immediately confess sin whenever I become aware of it. Thank you for your forgiveness.

Prayer Points

Express your praise to God as the compassionate Father (Ps. 103:13). Thank him for desiring only good things for his children, including you (Lk. 11:11-13). Confess those times when you have not wanted what God wanted for you or others. Commit yourself to seeking first God’s desire—his kingdom and his righteousness (Mt. 6:33). Ask God to “fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding” (Col. 1:9).

Pray for Christians living in oppressive conditions, that God’s desire for spreading his Word may be so strong in their hearts that they speak the Word boldly, without fear.

–Adapted from Pray Like the King (Lessons from the Prayers of Israel’s Kings) by David and Kim Butts. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.

Mar. 29: The Lord’s Church in this World

After six days Jesus took Peter, James and John with him and led them up a high mountain, where they were all alone. There he was transfigured before them. His clothes became dazzling white, whiter than anyone in the world could bleach them. And there appeared before them Elijah and Moses, who were talking with Jesus.

Peter said to Jesus, “Rabbi, it is good for us to be here. Let us put up three shelters—one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.” (He did not know what to say, they were so frightened.)

Then a cloud appeared and covered them, and a voice came from the cloud: “This is my Son, whom I love. Listen to him!” Suddenly, when they looked around, they no longer saw anyone with them except Jesus. (Mark 9:2-8)

Human language is hardly adequate to describe what the disciples saw that day on the mountain. Their Master began to glow with an unearthly light and two long-deceased saints, representing the Law and the prophets appeared to converse with Him! How would you respond to this amazing occurrence? I’m afraid that Peter speaks for most of us as he stammered out his reply, “Let’s build three shelters; one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.”

No matter how often we are taught that the church is not a building but the people of God, we still find ourselves talking about a piece of real estate rather than how we, as believers, function as the Lord’s Church in this world. Understanding this about ourselves helps us identify with Peter’s response on the Mount of Transfiguration.

Peter’s all-too-human and very horizontal reaction to what he was experiencing was to build a building and stay there. His response was overshadowed by the Father speaking from heaven telling the disciples to listen to Jesus.

It was a call to go vertical. God wants His people not to get caught up in our horizontal ways, but to look to Jesus. Our faith is not about memorializing any event or physical structure, no matter how spectacular. It’s simply about loving and listening to the Son of God!

Thank You, Father, for pointing me to Jesus. Help me to love Jesus the way You love Him and to listen continually to Him. Forgive me when I fall back on those things around me that seem safe and familiar. I don’t want to get caught up in buildings and budgets. Instead Lord, I want to be overwhelmed by Your presence and caught up in Your grace.

Prayer Points

Praise God as the Creator who makes all things new (Rev. 21:5). Give thanks for his power to bring even the most deadened souls to life in Jesus— including your own (Eph. 2:1-5). Confess those times when you have lost faith in God’s power to renew and restore. Commit yourself to renewing your mind every day in prayer and in reading God’s Word. Ask God to teach you what it means that you are now God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works (2:10).

Pray that those who are outside of God’s family may be made new creations in Christ (2 Cor. 5:17).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

START HERE TO . . .

Add a photo?  Reply to a discussion?  Blog an insight? Post an event? Watch (and pray) a video? Join a group? Invite my friends/class/?

--->Take the Tour  

--->Ask A Question

Partners in Prayer

Visit  

LOVE2020.COM

Pray

...right here, right now

Follow  @MakeLoveYourAim

Videos

• Add Videos

Workshop Video

Impacting Cities & Communities thru Prayer